|First Baptist makes move to Johnson St.|
|Written by Darci Tomky|
After nearly a year and a half of construction, the congregation of First Baptist Church of Holyoke is ready to make the move to the new church facility at 1000 E. Johnson St.
The first official services will be held there this weekend, Jan. 19-20. The contemporary Vintage Faith & Worship meets Saturdays at 7 p.m., regular Sunday morning services are at 10:30 a.m. and Vida Abundante is Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m. in Spanish.
First Baptist Church at 1000 E. Johnson St.
Cement was first poured the end of September 2011 for the $1.6 million church on the southeast edge of town. With a total of around 14,000 square feet, the church has a large auditorium that seats 240, a big fellowship hall and a multi-purpose/youth room. The church is also excited for the spacious offices, nursery and kitchen.
The brand new facility is a big change from the former building, located at 343 S. Baxter Ave. Erection on the original structure began in 1928 at a cost of $16,000—100 times less than the cost of the new church. An education wing was added in 1961.
A month-long celebration will take place in March to observe First Baptist Church’s 125th anniversary and to dedicate the new building.
Holyoke Enterprise January 17, 2013