Weather Forecast

Find more about Weather in Holyoke, CO
Click for weather forecast
Citizen confused about accident PDF Print E-mail
Written by Donna Lutze   

Dear Editor,

Did you know that if a city vehicle hits your vehicle they are exempt? They do not have to fix your vehicle.

I am a “senior citizen” and have lived all my life in Holyoke and have always found it a wonderful place to live. Now, I don’t know.

The middle of May, my sister-in-law borrowed my pickup to take grass out to the grass bin like the city requires you to do. As she was pulling up to unload the grass, a city employee in a city loader backed into the pickup, causing considerable damage to my pickup.

Living on a “fixed income” and having to watch my pennies, I dropped my pickup insurance down to only liability. I am trying to be responsible and make sure that my money reaches everything that I need it to.

Long story short, the city refuses to fix my pickup, and I can’t sue them because they are “government exempt.”

Is this right?

Beware that the city vehicles run around the grass bin moving grass so we can pile more out there, which is what they require us to do with our grass clippings. Be careful or you will have to pay to get your vehicle fixed because they are “immune.”

I did get a letter from CIRSA informing me that the loader was a government exempt vehicle, but I thought the city had more conscience than that. So I went to a city council meeting to ask them if they would consider fixing my pickup, and I explained that I only have liability and my insurance wouldn’t fix it.

I graciously asked them if there was any possibility that they could cover their city employee’s accident.

No luck. The city is government exempt.

Again, is this right?

Donna Lutze

Holyoke Enterprise July 26, 2012